[Stoves] "Young-adult" TLUD research Re: List of woods for TLUDs?

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Apr 29 21:46:11 CDT 2017

Paul,  cc Nathan and list

	Thanks for bringing up the two subjects of a)  separately controlling secondary air, and b) oily (mostly seed?)  fuels.

	I agree that we should be controlling secondary air, but I am pretty sure that we should and can do this with the same controller as for the primary air.  Most TLUDs already can and should control primary air, but make no effort to control the secondary air.   My reason for preferring to use one controller for both is that the ratio of primary to secondary should always be the same if we want (or can live with) a fixed ratio for excess air.   One controller is cheaper and is easier for the cook.   Anyone disagree?

	On the subject of using Jaropha seeds,  I am pretty sure that we would need a larger amount of “secondary” air than for non-oily fuels, but that there still could be a single air controller (just with a larger SA/PA ratio  [ maybe goes from about 6:1 up to 7:1 ??].  Note that these oils cannot combust as they pass through the hot charcoal above the downward moving pyrolysis front (no oxygen in that stream).  But I presume the temperature is enough for them to arrive above the char as quite a different set of gases.  So,  I’d like to hear more about what Nathan found.  Any cite we can look up?

	I agree with the rest of Paul’s comments.  TLUDs are not yet a mature technology - but it is growing up;  it is not standing still.

Ron