[Stoves] Revisiting WBT and performance metrics - revisiting history

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 13:28:13 CDT 2017

List, Xavier:

I stumbled upon paper a few months ago - Sustaining Culture with
Sustainable Stoves:The Role of Tradition in Providing Clean-BurningStoves
to Developing Countries
<http://www.consiliencejournal.org/index.php/consilience/article/viewFile/157/67>,
 Consilience, The Journal of Sustainable Development Vol. 5, Iss. 1 (2011),
Pp. 71-95. Britta Victor Department of Anthropology Princeton University,
Princeton, NJ  .

It is relevant to the earlier discussion on the tensions between physical
and social scientists or students of cultures and foods, and the pursuit of
energy efficiency as the sole metric.

There is another 2011 paper - A Review of Global Cookstoves Programs
<https://mlgifford.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/cookstove-programs_berkeley-thesis.pdf>,
by Mary Louise Gifford - that cites some of the same material that is cited
by Britta Victor, and reaches similar, though less strong conclusions,
namely that global technologists alone are likely to fail.

Nikhil