[Stoves] (no subject)

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 07:50:33 CDT 2017

Paul:

Thank you so much.

1. This "3Ts" is an extremely valuable acronym to convey the importance of
time, temperature and turbulence that make up performance for a particular
task (and varieties of task).

I learnt a bit about biomass gasifiers back in 1980 and then in the context
of industrial furnaces, but never quite grasped these basics of 3Ts.

I suppose my intuition that fuel quality does matter in designing a stove
for complete combustion of that fuel is broadly correct. The objective is
not complete combustion in and of itself, but with a specific fuel/stove
combination for specific tasks. With some fuel and stove designs, 3Ts are
achieved for some tasks, but with the same stove design and another fuel,
they may not be. If that is correct, "fuel-free" stove performance is
presumptively dubious.

Put another way, if the 3Ts don't come together in a way that guarantees
complete combustion (no or minuscule PICs), then that fuel/stove
combination is not appropriate for the cooking or space/water tasks desire.

I think that's a better formulation of "better biomass stove" than the
patently mindless ISO Tiers for PM2.5 hourly emission rate and fuel
efficiency.

2. I think your second answer is a practical statement of my understanding
above. That is, stove design and fuel go together, and their usability is
contextual -- because the nature of the tasks varies by context.

I never could make sense of the Aprovecho way of thinking - that there can
be "internationally acceptable" stove designs. That implied standardizing
fuel and tasks (hence the WBT experience you mention).

Let me quote a paper "Fuel use and emissions performance of fifty cooking
stoves in the laboratory and related benchmarks of performance
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0973082610000311> Energy
for Sustainable Development, Volume 14, Issue 3, September 2010, Pages
161–171. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.esd.2010.06.002.

.. The authors claim in the Abstract:

Performance of 50 different stove designs was investigated using the 2003
University of California-Berkeley (UCB) revised Water Boiling Test (WBT)
Version 3.0 to compare the fuel use, carbon monoxide (CO) and particulate
matter (PM) emissions produced. While these laboratory tests do not
necessarily predict field performance for actual cooking, t*he elimination
of variables such as fuel, tending, and moisture content, helps to isolate
and compare the technical properties of stove design*.

It stretches credulity that stove designs are tested on the basis of
excluding fuel, tending, and moisture content. This is engineering madness.
Standard fuel, standard pots, standard water, standard field conditions
(wind, humidity, temperature, ventilation. No cook.

The Lima Consensus signatories "further resolved, that *a data-driven,
long-term test protocol and standard that meet the following objectives
shall be developed within an 18-month time frame"*, such objectives to
include WHO Indoor Air Pollution guidelines that protect user health,
assuming a standard room and ventilation".

A standard room and ventilation. To me, the Lima Consensus was a sterling
example of forcing scientists of unrealistic expectations and limited
understanding into groupthink, "I can only do science if I standardize and
simplify."

But the signatories recognized that this was a TEMPORARY solution, a
beginning point of a journey together. How did TC-285 choose to ignore
that?

Thank you very much, again. You simplified and cleared up my understanding
of combustion.

Nikhil

PS: You made me seek out the book Combustion (Irving Glassman) that I had
consulted for a few pages many years ago. There are sections on soot
formation and the role of particulates in combustion that left me pretty
fascinated at the complexity of combustion.