[Stoves] Biomass briquetting tangents

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Fri Aug 11 09:54:22 CDT 2017

Dear George of the J

It is good to hear that you look back at the project as somewhat successful. It was a high target and you did a good job of localising production.

It is also heartening to hear you may be reviving it from the shadows.

Thanks for the photos. As a former cabinet maker I agree that we should turn tress into works of art, and burn the old furniture when it is ‘fully dried’, say, after a century.

Regards
Crispin in sunny Ulaanbaatar

Nikhil

Thanks for appreciating something outside the boxes we create for ourselves – here and in other places. My take is that wood is too precious  to burn. I’m sure somebody did the figures to prove that there is enough waste – natural and man-made – that we can recycle and use, like biomass briquettes, so we don’t have to totally deforest this ONE planet we have.

Combine this with raising awareness at grass roots level, more efficient stoves, intensive but sensitive tree planting (just been reading this from India https://news.trust.org/item/20170809152955-4xaln/ ) AND management and we would be a big step closer to dealing with our issues. The “ever shrinking jungle” goes back 10 years when I joined the list, watching our tree cover in The Gambia disappear slowly but surely. Millions of bucks of project funding spent, mismanagement, greed and corruption under a dictator for 22 years… just the usual human follies…

Not sure about the epidemic you have read somewhere…. I know here Malaria is on the increase again, early child mortality too due to bad nutrition, migration the “back way” by the youth to “greener fields” on the bottom of the Mediterranean, over fishing by Chinese “donors” off our coast, illegal logging of rare woods and export to mainly China. Our new Government are trying hard but the previous guy totally bled the country and a whole generation has never seen anything else so it will take some time.

We did do a stove and briquetting pilot (with the help of Crispin and Richard) rather successfully about 5 years ago so now that we slowly getting more approachable people into positions we will start picking this up again and try to push it forward! One tree at a time ☺

George