[Stoves] Biomass briquetting tangents

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 23:15:05 CDT 2017

Crispin:

I hope you didn't misunderstand me.

"Produced locally" is a meaningless concept; begs what is "local" and in
what sense. Sometimes perfect, sometimes not.

The term "households" is also meaningless. There is a lot to a household
than a kitchen or a stove or a human oxidation unit (cook and people
around), and the whole idea of two SDGs - reduction in the % of households
claiming solid fuel use in surveys at the national level - is ridiculous to
anybody but the United Nuts. Go see Queen of Katwe and reflect on how many
US "households" cook fresh meals from scratch. It is only with some
mythical cook and mythical meal over a mythical fuel that mythical global
cakes are cooked.

I am not going to debate "affordability", which too is a meaningless
concept. "Purchase proposition" or "Value proposition" can be indirectly
measured simply as sales. Whoever thought spring mattresses and mobile
phones - or fancy perms - will become booming businesses in urban Africa?

Finally, "access" too is a meaningless concept when measured in terms of
"households". If the problem is loss of trees or emission loads, only the
aggregate consumption volumes and emission loads matter (nobody has
measured them). Individual customers will access stoves like they have
accessed kerosene lanterns and stoves for a hundred years; just walk around
and watch.

I haven't seen a Vesto except in pictures
<http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/taxonomy/term/1642>on the web. And I am
not surprised that D-Lab paid little attention to stoves unknown to
Aprovecho and not subjected to water boiling.

I am afraid donor projects have under-appreciated the capacity for local
innovation and spread beyond "projects". In my experience, charcoal stove
innovation was rampant in my city in the 1950s, and charcoal/stove trade is
still fairly active in all Indian cities I am familiar with. Apart from
Sujatha's Servais efforts, I have also seen or heard of other "local"
innovations, away from the gaze of the "globalists" of a particular
variety. Ethiopian charcoal stoves and Mirte mtads are such an example;
missed the review "What Makes People Cook with Improved Biomass Stoves
<http://www.kirkrsmith.org/publications/1994/05/23/what-makes-people-cook-with-improved-biomass-stoves-a-comparative-international-review-of-stove-programs>"
by our friends.

I know I will be accused of "negativity". Someone needs to separate the
wheat from the chaff - facts from the deceits - of the last 40 years.

Let me check the D-Lab report; it seems to have escaped notice by
technologists here.

I didn't understand your reference to NIH. These health folks know nary a
thing about combustion, leave alone cookstoves or cooking.

Nikhil