[Stoves] Wood-fired masonry heaters - training

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sun Aug 20 08:51:31 CDT 2017

Dear Andrew

>From what I have gleaned from the designs and materials, and what they say are core elements, the reasons are:

Limited primary air
High power continuous burn (no turn down)
Preheated secondary air - multiple channels

In general there seems to be a 'flame tube', as I call them, meaning a constricted exhaust in which the completion of combustion takes place.

There are materials that should be used and they talk a lot about minimising the number of cuts needed to build the structures. It seems common to have a flat floor and no grate.

The other main design elements are having a single bell or double bell heat exchanger, heated benches, 'guaranteed draft' under all weather conditions, which in Austria is approved using a validated computer programme, not a working example. That means unique designs can be built one at a time, and approved by government. The Austrians are leading in this regard. Quite sophisticated. A public domain equivalent of the programme is under construction by some Europeans.

The burns tend to be 50 to 60 pounds of wood lasting about 2 hours.

On 20 August 2017 at 05:31, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

> They are developing clean-burning wood-fired home heating and baking systems operating on the retained heat principle. They have emissions per kg or MMBtu well below current EPA targets. There is a lot to be learned from them about this application of bioenergy.

Crispin are the reasons for the lower emissions  explained by the fact the burn  in masonry heaters is hot and fast with low excess air or is there more to it?

Andrew

to Send a Message to the list, use the email address stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org