[Stoves] Wood-fired masonry heaters - training

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sun Aug 20 10:28:50 CDT 2017

Dear Alex

Standby: I understand that now they have either automated or manual shut-off of all air entry when the fire is done. Once that happens there is a negative pressure throughout the system and the gas flow stops. The heat continues to radiate and convect from the thermal mass, be it stones or bricks.

Norbert is the head of the MHA technical committee and is a big advocate of the Condar PM measurement system which he has shown definitively gives results with only a fifth of the uncertainty of the EPA dilution tunnel system.

For measuring modern clean stoves, this is a significant difference. I can't say a significant 'advance' because the Condar is older than the dilution tunnel method. ‎It was originally used in Oregon (Method 41) in the 80's.

I have one somewhere. Want to try it?

Andrew,
Norbert Snef, who used to read this list, is the guy to answer your question. I would just point out that he and others involved took a technical approach. All ideas had to be tested and produce data that proved the improvement was valid. From what I understood few did. However  I seem to recall that this approach did generate an evolution of the designs that had lowest emissions, over what must be close to three decades of testing.

One of the tricks was to flatten the start up burn rate with careful  attention to air flow.  No surprise, but needed proof.

What I haven't seen, and may be one of their problem in the trade is the quantification of standby (no fire) losses.

Already said to much:)
Alex

On Aug 20, 2017 8:39 AM, "Andrew Heggie" <aj.heggie at gmail.com<mailto:aj.heggie at gmail.com>> wrote:
On 20 August 2017 at 05:31, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com<mailto:crispinpigott at outlook.com>> wrote:

> They are developing clean-burning wood-fired home heating and baking systems operating on the retained heat principle. They have emissions per kg or MMBtu well below current EPA targets. There is a lot to be learned from them about this application of bioenergy.

Crispin are the reasons for the lower emissions  explained by the fact
the burn  in masonry heaters is hot and fast with low excess air or is
there more to it?

Andrew

http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/