[Stoves] [biochar] Project Drawdown

erichjknight erichjknight at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 12:19:40 CDT 2017

. Mr. Hawkins certainly missed the role that biochar can have in the only exponential way to draw down CO2. The self building and expanding sequestration of soil carbon.
The 800 million tons that he gives as potential by 2050 may even now be a reality if all sources & sinks were properly measured.

The French have lead the way recognizing Soil Carbons' value and committing to build Soil Carbon by 0.40%  annually.  Putting them on the road to Carbon Negativity before any industrialized country. 25 nations have signed on to 4p1000. 100 of the 196 countries in Paris submitted plans to reduce CO2 via agriculture, forestry and replacing soil carbon into their programmes.
http://4p1000.org/understand

Sent from my Sprint Phone.
-------- Original message --------From: "Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu [biochar]" <biochar at yahoogroups.com> Date: 8/28/17  9:14 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: biochar at yahoogroups.com, Stoves and biofuels network <Stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>, Doc Anderson <psanders at ilstu.edu> Subject: [biochar] Project Drawdown

    I thank Trevor of the Biochar Listserv for introducing the topic.
    It is a worthy topic for the Stoves list, also.     Trevor wrote:

    >>>I've just seen Paul Hawkin present his pitch for
      Project Drawdown...

              https://www.youtube.com/watch?
                      v=0zaTGMl11hs

              Long but compelling viewing.

              I'm keen to hear from our resident biochar
                  climate change gurus on biochar review methodology,
                  ranking and placement under 'food' when it could also
                  reside under energy, land use and materials.
              http://www.drawdown.org/solutions/food/biochar

              In his presentation, they declare v.conservative
                approach to measurement. Should the biochar community of
                experts be engaging more closely with this initiative?

        Thanks for pointing out
          these two videos.   First one is 1 hr 17 minutes.   And I
          stayed with it to the end.  Very informative.   Second one is
          also over an hour, but in the first 6 minutes I determined
          that it is a repeat of the same talk to a different group.

    Thanks for pointing out these two videos.   First one is 1 hr 17
    minutes.   And I stayed with it to the end.  Very informative.
    Second one is also over an hour, but in the first 6 minutes I
    determined that it is a repeat of the same talk to a different
    group.

    You should look at one of them, and I refer to the first one..

    At minute 32:26 there is a list of the top 20 Drawdown ""ways"
    (approaches??).   Well worth studying (and is discussed in the
    subsequent few slides and minutes.   Numbers linke #1 (refrigeration
    and AC ) is listed as 89 GT (gigatonnnes CO2e) by the year 2050,
    which is 30 years away from 2020 (their starting point).  Correct me
    if I am wrong, but that is 89 GT TOTAL in those 30 years, not 89 GT
    per year.

    And the grand total is 1051 GT ,   See the summary table at:

    http://www.drawdown.org/solutions-summary-by-rank

    #10 is rooftop solar, at 24 GT.

    #20 is nuclear (admitedly controversial) at 16 GT.

    and #21 is Clean Cookstoves, at 15.8 GT

    The top 20 account for about 75% of the total drawdown being
    discussed.   MANY other ways are in small numbers of GT.   Of
    special note is #72 Biochar, calculated as 0.8 GT by 2050.

    This is all for discussion.

    My calculations about TLUD stoves that earn carbon credits and
    produce charcoal are:

    1.  Goal of 250 MILLION stoves by 2030, but just say it is to be by
    2050.

    2.  Each stove earns 4 carbon credits (each is 1 tonne CO2e) per
    year.   That would be 1000 Million tonnes.   Which is 1 GT .....
    PER YEAR!!

    3.  Do that for 30 years and that becomes 30 GT.      WHAT IS
    THIS?        Just the TLUD stoves for poor people could be double
    what is calculated by the Drawdown book.

    So, Please correct me about any errors by me.    Let each Listserv
    do its own discussion.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com
    On 8/27/2017 9:47 PM,
      trevor at soilcarbon.org.nz [biochar] wrote:

            I've just seen Paul Hawkin present his pitch for
                Project Drawdown...
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?
                    v=0zaTGMl11hs

            Long but compelling viewing.

            I'm keen to hear from our resident biochar climate
                change gurus on biochar review methodology, ranking and
                placement under 'food' when it could also reside under
                energy, land use and materials.
            http://www.drawdown.org/solutions/food/biochar

            In his presentation, they declare v.conservative approach
              to measurement. Should the biochar community of experts be
              engaging more closely with this initiative?

    __._,_.___

        Posted by: Paul Anderson <psanders at ilstu.edu>

               Reply to sender

              Reply to group