[Stoves] Mongolian Model 4, based on the Kyrgyzstan stove, drawings now available

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Aug 30 05:29:43 CDT 2017

Thanks Andrew
>>We have multiple reports of people burning corn cobs, wood and a variety of biomass in the stove. I have no advice on how to do that. I tested it with 8mm wood pellets and it has uncontrollably high power. It would need modification in the lower hopper to limit the power to 12 kW.
>Presumably corn cobs would  limit the power output down toward the design limit?

From what I can tell, they are burning them in a partly-filled hopper, and they close the top at least some of the time. If the hopper is open the fire is very large. Can’t say more until I try it. I would like to know the burn rate (mass/hr).
>>Coking:
Cooking
>>This combustor, a crossdraft gasifier, makes extremely little smoke. Here is a photo of the top of the stove chimney (at full power) with the Bishkek power station chimney in the background. Both are burning Kara-Keche coal.
>Is that mostly particulates or is there a deal of visible water in that  smoke?
We had a talk about that. This fuel has a very light and fine ash content. We had problems with fly-ash accumulating in the heat exchangers and even chimneys, last winter. The solution is to decrease the velocity through the heat exchanger (a reason to use the downdrafting one) so that it accumulates at the heat exchanger bottom. Then we ensure there is a way to clean it out. The Model 5.2 low pressure boiler version has a drawer under the chimney pipe (which extends deep into the stove).
Our conclusion is that the visible white stuff is fly-ash. It does not dissipate after travelling a hundred metres indicating it is not water vapour.
The energy programme starting next year, which includes $5m for stoves, will retro-fit equipment on the power station to address that issue, again confirming the likelihood that it is powder that can be captured in bag filters.
There is a new Chinese CHP plant on the same property but it is not operating at the moment. Only in winter.