[Stoves] Project Drawdown (Anil, Paul, Ron)

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 21:41:09 CDT 2017

Paul:

Jeff Gilliard is no longer at Drawdown. I tried to get his whereabouts, but
was twice rebuffed by the Drawdown contact. As with every other climate
report, I imagine they have been bombarded by ideologues of all kinds.

About Noorie's paper. I have been able to read material offered by Amazon
to "Look Inside" (pages 44 and 45 only).

I like the starting sentence "Preparing food is at the core of family,
culture, and community." Reminded me of Chef Jose Andres, and her of Rene
Redzepi, Alice Waters, Alain Ducasse, and Madhur Jaffrey. (I hadn't even
heard of the first three, so Noorie is obviously leagues ahead in thinking
about cooking, not just stoves.)

And I also liked her sentence in the middle - "Though cookstoves may seem
simple, taking them from concepts to reality is as much an art as cooking
itself."

The policy implications of these rather simple statements are profound,
namely, there needs to be a paradigm change. Physics has been stuffed down
our intellectual throats by fact-free, cook-free WBTs. (Even BAMG Stove
Performance Inventory Report prepared for GACC has insightful comments at
the end.)

She continues, "Family dynamics, from financing to education to gender
roles affect decisions about stoves, which must meet a suite of needs.
These include preparing traditional dishes in traditional pots and
achieving desired flavor; working with locally available fuels; saving on
the cost of fuels or time spent in obtaining it; making cooking easy,
efficient, safe, and, of course, affordability. ... When it comes to
stoves, context really counts... Locally attuned, human-centered designs
are most likely to win hearts and minds and shift prevailing habits -- and,
most important, majority share of cooking time."

Amen. Context matters. Human environments are difficult to define without
family dynamics. and "locally attuned" means not just relative fuel prices
but availability and quality of water, implements for other household
chores and allocation of these chores, availability and quality of food
ingredients,

The concluding section "IMPACT" says: "As of 2014, clean cookstoves
comprised just 1.3 percent of the addressable market. If adoption grows to
16 percent by 2050, reduction in emissions will amount to 15.8 Gigatons of
carbon dioxide."

I don't know what the "addressable market" is and how its size/location
changes with population growth and urbanization, economic growth, but I
suspect the 15.8 gtCO2 is CO2e with 100-year GWPs and integrated over 35
years without discounting.

If that is all that is considered "reasonable, conservative" by the
Drawdown project, the fault, alas, lies not with Paul Hawken but with us.
Almost nobody "out there" hears of TLUDs and char-making cookstoves because
gas and electricity are promoted by the "implementation science" folks at
GACC and Berkeley.

---

I wish she had mentioned Anil's proposal of Rural Restaurants, cafeterias
for the working poor (or the elderly), in my words Sodexho for the Poor, or
what used to be Sholl's
<http://www.nytimes.com/1984/05/18/us/a-fight-for-honesty-purity-and-veal.html>
in Washington, DC.

To me, the future of cookstoves, especially solid fuel cookstoves, is
OUTSIDE the homes. This revolution began some 150 years ago in the US
(after the Civil War) and around the world, including Indian cities that I
am familiar with and all the vintage tourist places in Africa and Asia I
have visited. Cooking paradigms changed then, without any GACC or WHO. But
the "improved cookstoves" paradigm, also begun around then (according to
Joel Darmstadter and some data in US Patents Office), got a second life in
India and Africa after independence, as venerable experts rushed in where
angels feared to tread.

Now, I am always skeptical of global models, and can sometimes predict the
outcomes if I am just given the set of assumptions. So, much as I support
Ron and Paul's demands to look at the assumptions in Drawdown, I don't
think much will come of it. The next edition of Drawdown, if there is any,
will not get a tenth of the attention this one has; the world would have
moved on, and these debates will remain confined to techies like us who can
argue to the end of our lives.

I happen to think "reversing" climate change is a rich people's hobby. I
changed my attention from "mitigation" to "resilience", where I advocated
the transition to modern energy including by use of better biomass stoves
(using a picture Jim Jetter kindly allowed me to use.)

I will happily support your queries and review assumptions. To begin with,
20-year GWP and 5% "real" discount rate can make a huge difference in
ranking. Besides, income and cost assumptions should be used with a
distribution reflecting actual historical experience where possible.
Expanding the range of biomass technologies, and modeling land/water use
changes in conjunction with food/energy/biochar/BECCS system interactions
(regionally constrained) should give very different rankings. As I referred
to earlier, power system operations rules are also key to fuel rankings in
new capacity choice, around the world (rich countries will have a higher
replacement demands and smarter grids).

Nikhil