[Stoves] With such friends it is difficult to keep Indian air clean

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 22:07:05 CST 2017

Anil:

Whom are you calling whose friend?

The Times of India became laughable more than a decade ago, but still
attracts new, aspiring journalists.

It is not the US but private refineries based in US who are selling petcoke
to any customer. India is a market because the Indian governments do not
have an air quality compliance strategy, just some  unenforced or
unenforceable air quality standards.

The same will happen with WHO's IAQ Guidelines and TC-285 international
standards. Because there is no way IAQ air quality standards can be
enforced; what stoves emit is beside the point.

"Few adhere to pollution standards, said Ajay Mathur, head of The Energy
Research Institute, a nonprofit policy research organization in New Delhi.
"This is an area where we need to have regulations sooner rather than
later,'' he said

I suspect the market for petcoke in India grew because the government kept
hiking up the price of coal and then slapped a levy on it in the name of
"climate change".

The article says,  "As word spread of the cheap, high-heat fuel, other
industries began using it in their furnaces - producing everything from
paper and textiles to brakes, batteries and glass, .."

A rational business response to an irrational policy.

Climate change is already hurting the poor. Opposition to coal leads to
more use of petcoke.

Anybody for petcoke stoves? I remember in Jharkhand there was coke use in
households.

Nikhil