[Stoves] No subsidies in TLUD char peoduction

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 11:09:07 CST 2017

Paul:

I am no longer familiar with CDM rules and don't know how they are going to
change, though it is sure that they will change.

I will limit my reaction to your "Question:   Is it a subsidy if the person
pays in the form of signing away his or her rights to the carbon credits
that will be earned by the use of the stove?    Or is it a form of
"micro-finance" with repayment handled by the dealer in the carbon
credits?   And if the monetary return to the CC dealer is greater than the
initial value of the stove, is that not basically equivalent to the
charging of interest on a micro-finance loan?"

A very good question but from a public finance perspective (which doesn't
apply here), it doesn't matter what you call it. There are all kinds of
methodological jugglery to compute "equivalent subsidies"; that is a whole
another level of discussion. In short, "concessional finance" matters.
There are no hard and fast rules about social venture capital (private).
>From public finance perspective, yes, efficacy, administration cost, likely
leakage, etc. need to be analyzed before committing large amounts of money.

My take on CDM, C-Dev - the "official" entities for public funds - is that
what they are doing is a "barrier removal" activity. Once a product is
validated in some way, and is found usable, external financing for it helps
remove the barriers to commercialization (in this way or  any of other ways
known under GEF projects where this term "barrier removal" originated some
25 years ago).

For a systematic national-level program of "barrier removal", a lot of
technical work is required to characterize the markets, industry structure,
alternatives in technologies and funding mechanisms.

This is precisely what GACC could have done but it went on the track of
IWA/ISO "international standards", leaving aside ground realities. That
faith in EPA approach needs to be subjected to scrutiny, but in parallel,
GACC could build on the consulting reports it got around 2013-14 on
selected countries via its consultants. They could be used as the
springboard for real preparation so as to make entities like yours
"bankable", "marketable".

This still leaves open the question of "pre-design" research. What you did
with your own funds is not a viable model for developing 100 supply chains
in 100 different contexts.

Which amounts to saying "viability and sustainability of the entire supply
chain - from innovation and design to home economics - is at issue, not
just one or 50,000 stoves." That's where public (or private charity funds)
can help. I have written something about it; can discuss it later.

Nikhil

PS: To me, the aid industry academics' interest in viability,
sustainability of enterprises getting subsidies is utterly beside the
point. Someone told me a few years ago, "More than a half of new companies
close within a year". Starting and closing companies, M&A, bankruptcies,
are all part of real business life, which academics (pardon me, you are one
yourself but you don't have theories of subsidies) don't seem to take into
account.