[Stoves] China and cookstoves [Was Re: A user-centered, iterative engineering approach for advanced biomass cookstove design and development]

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Dec 6 02:31:38 CST 2017

Dear Gordon

“We plan to give the micro-producers free dried and densified feedstock in trade for their char. “We”, in this case, will be a regional biochar cooperative that will handle technology distribution and operation, biomass processing and feedstock distribution, and biochar aggregation and marketing.”

There is a project in Rwanda that operates on a similar basis. People bring wood fuel to the pellet mill and trade it for pellets which they use in their pellet stoves.

People find the fuel and deliver it when convenient, bringing enough to trade for a month of cooking fuel.

Am I correct in understanding you are looking at something similar?

There is no char involve, it is a wood fuel from end to end. The idea is that rural homes will operate that way and urban families will but the pellets to use instead of charcoal.

Thanks
Crispin

Gordon:

Sounds promising. "Disruptive" is music to my ears.

Aggregation of demands or of use benefits - monetized or not - is the central problem of small-scale retail technologies in the developing countries - be it in energy (including electricity), water, transport, and until recently telecom. Anything that has economies of scale at organizational level -- even the simple issue of disbursing public money, if planning projects - even if not at technology level suffers from this problem.

I wonder what you are thinking in terms of the owners and operators of the community scale biochar+heat systems or "regional biochar cooperative". I take it you are thinking of US-based enterprises and cooperatives, but if the unit investment size is around $0.5 million to serve a community (households plus others) of roughly 10-20 kt per year of feedstock, there may be markets in some developing countries as well. (Using waste biomass, if usable.)

Are you planning a survey of cooks in the developing world where you could add in the questionnaire "“How important is making (more than saving) money when you cook?”

Nikhil