[Stoves] Bangladesh TLUD (was Re: No subsidies in TLUD char peoduction

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sat Dec 9 07:47:08 CST 2017

Dear Paul and Julien

I am responding to Paul’s comments on Julien’s earlier message.

On Dec 7, 2017, at 6:51 AM, Paul Anderson <psanders at ilstu.edu<mailto:psanders at ilstu.edu>> wrote:

> 1.  The thermal mass is estracting heat, meaning cooler gases inside the chamber, with risk of insufficient temperature for ignition at the top, especially when nearing the end of pyrolysis.

Before anyone worries about heat going into the stove body, please perform the trivial calculation about how much heat we are talking about. Just because heat goes into a stove body does not mean a) it is significant, b) that it happens at a time that affects performance of the cooking experience, c) that it is not returned later in the session (which is cooking behaviour-dependent.) Yes, there is heat invested in the stove and usually it is a loss, but the other features of the stove may not only recover that heat through other energy paths, it may make the stove far more accessible by being cheap and easy to make from local materials.

2.  The concrete (or ceramic) inner cylinder does not have any of the side holes (24 in the metal version).  Such holes allow for some "pilot light" effect after the char level is below a hole.

Dr Nurhuda’s very successful TLUD stove had such pilots sprinkled around the fuel chamber. The Vesto uses three holes only, and the purpose is to maintain pilot lights to ensure the flame never goes out. They are placed in a way that guarantees a small portion of char is burned and there is never a need to relight because of a gust of wind.