[Stoves] Bangladesh TLUD (was Re: No subsidies in TLUD char peoduction

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 13:45:58 CST 2017

Crispin:

Did Peter Scott use WBT or CCT? Why are his findings significant except for
"competing on fuel efficiency percentages"?

What he discovered is similar to common knowledge from my childhood - in
samovars for heating bathwater. Designs with thicker copper retained heat
better and fuel efficiency was higher; which mattered because in the city
we used purchased charcoal.

Something similar from our charcoal cooking stoves - they had a cement
layer sometimes, compared to another stove that didn't.

If you standardize the cooking experience and cooking behavior, I suppose
you can adjust for the amount of heat that goes in the stove body but is
not utilized for cooking experience.

And if you were to do that, you would come up with some computation of
efficiency. Which I call "competing on fuel efficiency percentages is
infantile business" because standardizing cooking behavior and cooking
experience is infantilism.

That has nothing to do with whether fuel efficiency matters or dominates
consumer choice.

Testing and metrics ought to have a purpose. In relation to a service
standard and objective of the exercise. I compared EPA/WHO approach to
stoves with that on diesel engines. That should say a lot.

Nikhil

--------