[Stoves] Understanding TLUDs, MPF and more. (was Re: Bangladesh TLUD )

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 15:15:52 CST 2017

On 10 December 2017 at 05:54, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

>There is enough oxygen in biomass to almost completely combust the hydrogen content.

Doh not that hoary canard again, all the hydrogen in wood is already
bonded to an oxygen or carbon atom, oxygen has to be added to extract
heat from the wood. The same is true for other partially oxidised
hydrocarbons like methanol, acetone or ether.

In fact long ago a proper chemist, Tom Reed, suggested that with
hydrocarbon fuels one could calculate the heat yield without knowing
the fuel make up because the heat released per mol of oxygen  was
fairly constant.

I won't trouble to correct the other spin in your post other than to
agree with Paul that we all understand the a descending or migratory
pyrolysis front  became a term used to describe Top Lit UpDraughtand
isn't nor was ever used in other contexts.

Andrew