[Stoves] Understanding TLUDs, MPF and more. (was Re: Bangladesh TLUD )

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 15:07:09 CST 2017

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 02:29:40 +0000,Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <
crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

>Dear Andrew
>

>TLUD makers may want to save this post in order to explain why biomass
can, under certain conditions, be converted to char without the addition of
air. If you cannot see the whole spreadsheet paste-in, or if it is folded,
widen the window or zoom out.

Well I suggest they don't bother and I cannot see a spreadsheet but we all
know biomass can be converted to char. My point remaining that to release
heat from wood you need to add oxygen and the fact the wood already has
oxygen containing molecules within it is irrelevant.

>CPP>>There is enough oxygen in biomass to almost completely combust the
hydrogen content.

>AJH>Doh not that hoary canard again, all the hydrogen in wood is already
bonded to an oxygen or carbon atom, oxygen has to be added to extract heat
from the wood. The same is true for other partially oxidised hydrocarbons
like methanol, acetone or ether.

>Yeah we were here before, and I save you the embarrassment of pointing out
your error. Still, you insist, so here is something from a your proper
chemist.

Okay I shan't comment on the rest of your *non* sequitur diatribe below but
please don't worry about embarrassing me, if I am wrong I admit it, I am
also not a chemist nor ever claimed to be.

Get your chemistry advisor to comment directly  because even if you do
understand the science you are using it wrongly.

Andrew