[Stoves] Africa's future lies in energy-saving jiko

Cookswell Jikos cookswelljikos at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 12:38:47 CST 2017

And an international opinion on local cooking;

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-12/14/c_136826471.htm

''NAIROBI, Dec. 14 (Xinhua) -- Kenya's energy regulator said Thursday it
has embarked on initiatives aimed at reducing biomass fuel use in the
country.

Edward Kinyua, the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) Acting Director for
Petroleum, said plans are underway to introduce purchase of Liquid
Petroleum Gas (LPG) through mobile phones and also the introduction of 500
grams gas cylinder for use by the low income earners.

"We intend to contribute to the citizen's well-being by ensuring that they
use clean energy while cooking as opposed to firewood and kerosene that
contributes to deaths of many women and children," Kinyua said in Nairobi.

He said that the purchase of the LPG will be effected soon once the smart
meters are installed by a team of consultants that include scientists from
Colorado University who are currently running trials in the informal
settlements in Nairobi.

Kinyua said that the technology will enable people to purchase LPG through
prepaid token depending on the amount of money one has from their mobile
phones at anytime as is the case with mobile shopping.

"This will help increase penetration of gas cylinders and also access to
clean energy to consumers and contribute to the reduction of indoor
pollution that is blamed for deaths of many people in the country," he
added.

Kinyua also announced that additional gas cylinder weighing 500 grams will
be introduced to cater for people in the informal settlements and far flung
villages to reduce cutting of trees for fuel once approved by the Kenya
Bureau of Statistics (KBS).

In Kenya, LPG is sold in one, three, six and 13 kilograms unit, at a price
that is far above low income earners who mainly depend on fuel wood and
charcoal for cooking and heating their houses.

Air pollution is a major contributor to respiratory diseases in Kenya and
it kills 14,300 Kenyans annually while the number of people with
respiratory diseases increased by 63 percent over a four-year period from
12.2 million in 2012 to 19.9 million in 2016.

Kinyua said that a number of people fall victims because they use
traditional fuels and kerosene for cooking and heating.

Air pollution from indoor and outdoor sources remains a major environmental
and health issue, and a policy challenge especially in Kenya that is
rapidly urbanizing.''

Teddy Kinyanjui
Sustainability Director

             <https://www.facebook.com/CookswellJikos>