[Stoves] [MHAtech] Re: Top lit updraft combustors

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Mon Dec 18 19:34:25 CST 2017

In our enthusiasm to make char let’s not claim high yields from gasification unless we can identify the qualities and composition of the char. 15% to 20% is typical. Yields above 20% would suggest a high level of tars, or labile carbon, or ash, which is fine if that is the carbon you want. If you want hygroscopic char, then you have get below 20% volatile matter. When you do that your carbon yields go down to the 15%-20% range. Maximum theoretical yield from wood pyrolysis is about 33% (Antal, 1983?) It has been stated here before many times but when you add air (gasification) some of the oxygen reacts directly with the carbon, converting it to CO2 and providing heat to drive the gasification process. Most of the air probably burns CO, H2 and other gases from heating the fuel.

Tom