[Stoves] Going back to 3-Stone Fire [Was Re: Chinaandcookstoves]

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Dec 19 09:39:18 CST 2017

Crispin,

I agree that 30 years is a bit long!!

A Google search for   "From WBT to WHT" did not yield the desired
document.   Can you or Philip or someone provide it from the C4D (??)
website?  Is it behind a paywall?

What was found was ONLY this:
> 1 result(0.58 seconds)
>

>     Search Results
>

>       [Stoves] [stove] Comparison of stove testing procedures
>       <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjJgrj9p5bYAhXM4yYKHZ2XANQQFggpMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Flists.bioenergylists.org%2Fpipermail%2Fstoves_lists.bioenergylists.org%2F2016-March%2F011416.html&usg=AOvVaw1JzyoTnTvPE6K8RSL2-mTK>
>
> lists.bioenergylists.org/pipermail/stoves_lists.bioenergylists.org/2016.../011416.html
> All this is covered in the paper "/From WBT to WHT/" at the C4D
> website. With respect to the emission rate and total, unless the WHO
> model of exposure is validated somehow, I can't see how it is possible
> to claim that a stove 'cannot' or 'does not' meet some indoor air
> exposure advisory limit because that depends on the ...
Hey!!!!   That is a link back to us!!!   Crispin, Philip, and Paul have
messages there.   I had forgotten about that exchange, and it was only
back in March of 2016.   (and not 30 years ago!!).    Some good stuff in
that exchange of messages.

But still not enough progress.   That raises some questions:
1.  It is hard to change the direction of a moving large truck (the WBT
and ISO and IWA, whatever), so it seem that China and India (and South
Africa?? and others????) have started moving in their own trucks along
somewhat parallel paths toward the same general goal of "stove testing".

2.  How many people could (or have?) layed the alternatives side by side
for comparison?   Tami, Crispin, Jim Jetter, some Chinese scholars, some
in Inida, etc. might do that or have done that.   Not me.   and not most
of us Stovers.   But is it a question of having the same DATA but palced
into different formulae?   Or are they not collecting the same data
either because of different instruments or because of different
proceedures?  And there needs to be clear handling of "resultant char"
(maybe in TWO ways) if there is any relevance to TLUD char-making
micro-gasifier stoves.

3.  Has */_anyone _/*"corrected" the mentioned LVH error from 30 years
ago?   And shown its impact with test results done 2 ways (and not just
as calculations)?

4.  For Crispin:  Is there a "Crispin-approved test" (or set of
proceedures, etc.)?   Or can it not be implemented with existing test
equipment?

5.  Personally, I like the basis of water heating instead of water
boiling.  [ And a lid on the pot and Frank's 6-Box approach are not bad
ideas).   The cookstove community really does need some improvement.

Joke:  Maybe it is time to throw out the baby with the [boiling]
bathwater.     Maybe not a joke???   But to bathe the baby in the future
will still need some (maybe several) functional stove tests for
comparisons, otherwise the baby will start to stink.   (this analogy is
not the basis for further work.)

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com