[Stoves] Going back to 3-Stone Fire [Was Re: Chinaandcookstoves]

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Dec 19 11:24:55 CST 2017

Dear Friends

Ron>I’m not sure why Crispin finds it so difficult to give a cite.

I am not sure why you find it so difficult to hold a civil conversation.  If a smaller fraction, preferably zero, of your messages were spent point scoring in attempts to demean anyone who does not agree with your view of the universe, consultation would be more productive.

I do not know, Ron, why you are surprised to find a comment in that paper about charcoal making stoves that use more fuel than an open fire when we have only yesterday been discussing a paper from China showing exactly that. You report instead fake efficiency numbers from a WBT to make a comparison with a real evaluation.

The report does not say that charcoal making stoves must use more fuel than an open fire, and I have previously given this list not only the guidance needed to produce a net-fuel saving stove, I provided the formula necessary so that testing could guide researchers to that result.

For those of you who are recent members of the list, my position on all fuels and stoves is neutral. I favour what works, and I favour more what works better.  There is no such thing as a ‘dirty fuel’ as colloquial use flavours the term.  I favour the efficient use of resources. I favour increasing the service factor of appliances in accordance with cultural sensitivities.  I favour the production of appliances as close to the customers as possible. I favour the application of modern science and engineering to the solutions of the problems of poor and under-privileged people. There are no sacred cows. There is no panacea.  Local opinions are frequently best, but like ours, partially informed.  All are capable of contributing to the ever-advancing civilization of which we are a part. We should respond to the challenges of the age in which we live with the resources we can muster. Friendship is one of the most powerful resources.