[Stoves] EPA and heating stoves [Was: Top lit updraft combustors]

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 21:54:54 CST 2017

Norbert:

Thank you. I have no business disputing that EPA regulation has in and of
itself substantially advanced technology in the North American wood burning
wood burning appliance market. US has huge quantities of low-cost wood and
if burning it - instead of using it for furniture and building construction
- pleases some users, it is a glorious thing.

Yet, I only point out that James Houck views EPA's 2015 NSPS - which do not
go into full effect until at least 2020, 32 years after EPA started this
process, apparently reluctantly and without enough resources - is that this
is a "bureaucratic nightmare conceived without good science. It has the
potential to cripple the hearth industry and not do a very good job of
improving air quality in the process."

I haven't looked at this recently, but I think over the years, low gas and
electricity prices basically reduced wood heating market so drastically
that only a few manufacturers survived, wood burning was often for cosmetic
and romantic (including ideological) purposes, and the geographic reach of
air pollution from wood-burning devices was reduced to a few counties. (I
remember smoky winter air in Concord, Mass. 40 years ago. I wonder if wood
use for residential heating has declined in New England. Maybe EPA so
emasculated an industry that a renewable energy option was practically
lost. There is no telling when regulation turns counter-productive.)

The take-away from your message is that when a regulator  has the authority
to regulate certain process for legally mandated objective, the judicial
process permits an activist private group to force the regulator to face up
to the responsibility of regulating that process.

As of now, the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, Subcommittee on
Environment, is discussing postponement of effective date from 2020 to
2023, the penultimate year of Trump II if it comes to pass.

Legal authority, public scrutiny, accessibility to an independent judiciary
(as well as lawmakers), and - Scott Pruitt may say - supremacy of State
interest when inter-state issue is not involved (or even when it is) makes
the US case almost an ideal of government behavior in a democracy.

None of this obtains in the case of EPA's self-righteous expropriation of
the interests and rights of a billion cooks worldwide.

If EPA - and as its contractor, the UN Foundation - are not willing to be
transparent and accountable for their monetary entanglements and technical
conceit and deceit, they ought to get out of the kitchens of the developing
world. That's all I ask of well-meaning Americans.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*