[Stoves] EPA and heating stoves [Was: Top lit updraft combustors]

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 06:24:14 CST 2017

Ron:

I was replying to Norbert and the the thread indeed had to do with EPA's legal authority, subject to public scrutiny and judicial correction on biomass heating stoves in US versus lack thereof when it comes to cookstoves in the developing world.

It shouldn't surprise you that I have reverence for very few institutions. Like people, institutions are fallible and corrupted by politics and ideology. If EPA can't stand the heat, it should get out of the kitchen. Enough of secret circuses.

I suggest you register your protest with the staff of the Subcommittee and the White House. I might write to Tim Wirth.

My criticism is fact-based, not ideology-based.

The path to hell is paved with good intentions. I am baffled at the reverence for GACC and ISO. What is your expectation for the next ten years - that some Savior Stove will descend from heaven, reproduce itself three billion times, and save four million lives?

But intentions are immaterial. I believe in the rule of law and public accountability.

Please don't get personal about my motives. I have great respect for Federal staff, including those at EPA, a couple of whom were ex-coworkers.

I emphasize this point because it is personal - back in 1981. I was stunned by the openness and the readiness to help of Washington Federal bureaucrats in many agencies including EPA and DOE. I can't say the same of Congressional committee or White House staffs when it came to openness or even competence, but they too impressed me.

Washington taught me about governance. And about how to argue, criticize in the open but remain chummy in private. (You should see the retirement dinner for Harry Reid or Newt Gingrich at a Munk Debate in September. Newt, FYI, accepts that Trump is a "doodoo head". You would laugh as much as I did.)

Respect for opinion does not require agreement and respect for science does not require reverence and worship, quite the contrary. The art of governance and the art of doing science require skepticism.

I will comment on wild fires and deaths when I get the paper. I rarely trust newspaper science and environment reporters to understand the complexities and nuances. As I wrote to you earlier, Andy Revkin was stellar, Chris Mooney has a long way to grow up.

Do you remember if the computed death figure was annual? Remember, some 2-3 million Americans die every year and their deaths can be attributed to something or the other depending on the model and modelers' fancies.

Let's go off list and discuss means of preventing and fighting wild fires.

Nikhil