[Stoves] Technical about TLUDs (was Re: GLASS for stoves .)

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Dec 26 11:02:57 CST 2017

Chrispin's message below is very useful and confirms that there are
TLUDs that can end without smoke (and some are smokey).

1.  It would be useful if we could get more info from the Indonesian
testing.  Which of the tested TLUDs were ending with smoke?  Not so
important to know the brand names, but to study the stove
characteristics so that the causes of the smoke can be determined and
then corrected.

At this point I will disagree with Crispin's explanation.  This
difference of thought can be settled by science, and I am happy if he is
correct.  But I offer a different PART of the explanation.

It is easy for all of us to agree that smoke from TLUDs at the end (or
at other times) is mainly because of loss of the secondary flame.
Issues are 1)  insufficient gases, 2) loss of the "pilot" or sustaining
flame/spark, and factors (gust of wind, some difference in the fuel for
a moment) that cause those situations.

My scientific disagreement relates to this comment (empahsis added):
> they [TLUD stoves] have produced all the tarry gases they will, and
> *_it has been cracked in the hot char_*.
That cracking situation occurs in downdraft gasifiers that have a hot
bed of char through which the pyrlolytic gases must past. Check those
resultant (post -charcoal) gases and see that they are quite clean and
(with some filter, cooking and maybe scrubbing) they can go to internal
combustion (IC) engines.   These are clear gases, even when cooled for
use in IC engines.

But the hot TLUD gases are never that clean.   They are transparent
while still hot in the TLUD chamber above the created char, but if
allowed to cool, they will become visible and will be called "smoke".
Without the fire of the secondary combustion, smoke will be emitted.

The cracking of the pyrolytic gases ("smoke") requires passing throught
a much hotter bed of charcoal than is found in TLUD stoves.  (Tom Miles
and probably some others can comment on the temperatures in the char-bed
of downdraft gasifiers where some air for O2 is entering to burn
(oxidize or char-gasifiy) the char.)

I do not know of any studies specifically analyzing the TLUD gases while
passing through the char layer or in the area between the char and the
secondary combustion zone.  Probably has been looked at somewhere.

Quick proof of the smokey gases in a WELL-FUNCTIONING TLUD (which will
end without any released smoke) is to extinquish the secondary flame and
see the billowing smoke.   Be ready to relight it quickly !!!!

So, I am delighted with Crispin's observation about some TLUD stove
models being consistently functional without smoky incidents at the
end.  Those are the vast majority of the TLUD stoves in use. (Poorly
functioning stoves do not get used or accepted.)  We are expecting TLUD
stoves to have a great year in 2018 as more and more Stovers join these
efforts.

Season's Greetings to all !!!

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com