[Stoves] Off topic

Dick Gallien dickgallien at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 15:51:28 CST 2017

In that it's below zero F at noon now, I was thinking that during 60 yrs.
of heating only with wood, no one has ever asked what I have for backup  It
they had asked, I could've said that I have an endless supply of WOOD, but
that wouldn't have made me much warmer in a power outage than most.  I've
had wood furnaces of varying degrees of efficiency,  One outdoor wood
boiler 125' from the house, another OWB  naked within a 40X60' bldging,with
tubing for hot water, poured into the floor, all dependent on electricity.
Now, using only 3 wood stoves, we are finally electricity free--heat wise.
In our lofty position of collecting university food waste for hog food, (a
huge social leap from when I hauled all of Winona's  27K sewage to this
farm) we have 32 ga. Rubbermaid barrels to pressure wash, which is done
using a top loaded Sedore wood stove, with 2 water loops, which through
thermo syphon, heats a used, elevated 80 ga. Marathon water heater.  When
the power goes out, we just hook up the hot water to a diesel powered
pressure washer----gotta keep those hogs happy.  I realize heat is of
little concern to most, compared with the heating and cooking problems in
3rd world countries, but our social networks are becoming shakier,
including heat and power..

Dick Gallien
22501 East Burns Valley Road
Winona  MN  55987