[Stoves] Off topic

Dick Gallien dickgallien at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 22:05:10 CST 2017

Thanks Crispin,

When I bought the farm 10-1-56, the surrounding small farmers heated with
wood, except the Goetzmans, across the valley, who were surrounded by
woods, but to show that they were above wood burning, bought/burned coal.
None of them had heard of secondary combustion or "air tight".  During the
fuel crunch in the 70's, when many were putting in wood burners, the paper
did a story,  with photos of a more efficient wood furnace I had put in,
along with neighbor Girtler's, both heating and cooking with wood,
including a photo of their dome shaped wood pile, which Herb enjoyed
making, however, Helen was embarrassed, because heating with wood, was
looked on as only one step above still having an outhouse.  I had 3 flush
toilets in this old farm house, but after reading "The Humanure Handbook"
by Joe Jenkins, I tired of hearing them being flushed for every thimble
full of whatever, so took them out 20 yrs. ago.  Went through composting
toilets, etc. in a rental cabin but now just use 5 ga. buckets and
newspapers, which makes great soil, which is a drop in the bucket compared
with all the compost here.
   http://www.winonapost.com/Archives/ArticleID/38340/How-vu
lnerable-we-have-become

I have no idea how much wood we burn, have had a little farm/compost site
open every day from dawn until dark since 1990, where town people dump
garden/lawn waste and brush/chips.  The City usually dumps 400 little 1 ton
truck loads of street leaves here for 18 yrs., only 300 this yr. because
they are removing 2,000 dead/dying ash trees.  They'd gladly dump all those
here too, for they'll just torch them and have no interest in biochar.

Outdoor wood boilers are notoriously inefficient, in that with most, the
firebox is surrounded by water, so the temp. is never high enough to burn
efficiently.  Both of mine took 54" long logs and I sold them after 15
yrs..  PCA has forced new OWB to be more efficient, though T is doing his
best to eliminate all regulations.  125' from the house didn't seem far.
They are smokey devils, it was near a large wood shed and another building
I had planned to heat.  I have a backhoe, so easily put the 2 insulated,
circulating pipes 6' down.

At that temp., you must be lost in Waterloo, Ontario??   Why?

This letter to the editor, from one year ago is the only public notice of
my effort to safely land this unusual little piece of land.  The City and
County don't want it.  A park or nature center is as creative as they'd
be.   Because it can't be developed, some rich people might pay a couple
million, for their locked gate, show off estate.  I just want to keep
puttering here until the party is over.  I dug my hole 3 yrs. ago and must
dump a load of horse manure, to keep it from freezing deeper.  There are 3
acres registered as a cemetery, for natural burial only.  At a mere $1000
per grave = $1 million her acre.  75 yrs. ago most would've been horrified
if someone suggested grandma be incinerated.  The grass fed beef, hogs,
honey, etc. should all be sold here.  It has the potential to be an
interesting place.  I don't want money or my name on anything, I'd just
like to see the place work.  Thanks for listening,  Dick
http://www.winonapost.com/Archives/ArticleID/33371/The-Meadow

   http://www.winonadailynews.com/news/opinion/letters/dick-
gallien-planning-the-future-of-the-winona-farm/article_c058d
ef5-1b3b-5854-b255-e5e044d2c8a3.html

Dick Gallien
22501 East Burns Valley Road
Winona  MN  55987
dickgallien at gmail.com  [507]454-3126
www.thefarm.winona-mn.us

Prison bars do the confining, allowing the prisoner a mental freedom not
possible in schools, where an endless barrage of assignments, lectures,
questions and tests, serve the same purpose, under the guise of education,
while distracting as efficiently as the cracking of whips, keeping the
imprisoned from discovering and pursuing their passions, or noticing that
there are no real bars------and by the time they might realize the purpose
of their confinement, it is too late.