[Stoves] Charcoal burning in stoves

Cookswell Jikos cookswelljikos at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 14:48:50 CST 2017

Hi Neil and Paul,

Thank you very much for that detailed description!

That is a very good use of charcoal fines. I was chatting with an old
charcoal seller near Mt Kenya the other day and he was telling me that he
sells many grades of charcoal (various sizes/prices of char for clothes
irons, maize roasters, blacksmiths, soup boilers, home cooks, restaurant
grade etc.) as well as seasonal blends of different types of charcoal made
from different types of trees. Which he can sell either as fast lighting
slow burning mixes to cooks, or higher ratio slow burning charcoal for soup
sellers etc. Some restaurant chefs he said like the flexibility of light
weight charcoal for faster service during lunch time rushes but still buy a
bag of hardwood large charcoal for slow cooking beans during the day. The
very fine charcoal dust that was left has now found a market as a soil
amendment and he was selling for about 3$ for a 50kg bag.

With our charcoal making drum kilns, we try to advise people to treat
charcoal much like how you are describing, just like with any fuel there
are various grades...so for fast cooking things like eggs or rice, use
maize cob or light twig charcoal as the 'high octane/V-Power' fuel mix, for
low and slow goat ribs or maize and beans type cooking, larger hardwood
lump charcoal from bigger branches blended with lighter twig char is better
for a long slow burn. We are finding that more of our customers are
appreciating the flexibility of using different types of woody biomass to
get the fuel best suited for the job at hand.

A few questions if I may;

*''I usually start with enough fuel for a half hour cook before needing to*

*add more fuel.  Because it is only a fairly small BBQ, (14inch
diametergriddle), I usually cook in batches, adding more char each time.
If I'mcooking chicken joints from raw I aim for about 40 minutes which is
easyto achieve on one loading. There seems little point in trying to
controla thicker layer for a longer time than the food needs to cook, so
eachbatch of food gets its own fresh layer of fuel. '' *

Do you find when you add more charcoal it smokes quite bit or not so much?
How much do you add usually, do you bank it to have a hotter and cooler
side of the fire? Do you have much fire left over once done?

It's still amazing to me to see, especially in hot places in Kenya, how
many times once someone is done cooking, they leave the stove lit,
unattended and not cooking while it dies down...all the while there is
enough usable heat left in a typical ceramic charcoal stove to bake 2-3
sweet potatoes or whatever tandoori oven style just as it cools.

*''I can do some measurements and photos when the warmer weather comes if
it*

*might be of any interest.  I've had this BBQ for 25 years now, so its
afamiliar tool that I am nicely attuned to, and the design
persists,although as I said I couldn't find it on ebay.com
<http://ebay.com/>, only .co.uk <http://co.uk/>.''*

Yes please do send photos, I at least would like to see it in action!

Best wishes,

Teddy

Teddy Kinyanjui
Sustainability Director