[Stoves] Biomass stoves v. PV-induction cooking (re: Frank)

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Wed Feb 1 12:37:06 CST 2017

> The maximum working temperature for PYREX glassware is 490°C. However, once the temperature exceeds 150°C, ensure that heating and cooling is achieved in a slow and uniform manner.

Norman,

I am wondering if bits of broken pyrex beakers could be mixed in with the fuel to help establish the temperatures at different locations. In a furnace that fails (temperature heading up) before I detected results in beakers in an assorted array of melt. Seems around the temperatures we are interested in. i have made many such art works.

Soda-Lime Glass
Glass transition <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_transition_temperature>
temperature <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_transition_temperature>, Tg	573 °C (1,063 °F)	564 °C (1,047 °F)

Regards

Frank

> [...]
>
> By the way, the temperature tolerances of the Pyrex dish are greatly exceeded when used in a TLUD. Simply avoid drastic temperature changes and let the temperatures build slowly and then cool slowly. Once, without thinking about it, we dropped the wet carpeting in on the biochar to stop pyrolysis. The wet carpeting hit the Pyrex glass and it shattered instantaneously.
>
> Norm
>
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 7:13 AM, Ronal W. Larson <rongretlarson at comcast.net <mailto:rongretlarson at comcast.net>> wrote:
> Andrew:  cc list and Norm
>
>         As Norm and I talked, we came to the same conclusion.  But it is and was a remarkable video to see ANY downward flowing gases.  I’d like to know if anyone with computational fluid dynamic simulation capability can report on this being observed as well - and whether they can report any negative implications, etc.
>
>         Presumably this could suggest that larger is either better or worse.
>
>         Thanks for the feedback.   Your own char-making was with very large diameters.  Might you have seen anything similar?
>
> Ron
>

> > On Feb 1, 2017, at 2:22 AM, Andrew Heggie <aj.heggie at gmail.com <mailto:aj.heggie at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > On 31 January 2017 at 17:04, Ronal W. Larson <rongretlarson at comcast.net <mailto:rongretlarson at comcast.net>> wrote:
> >
> >> 2.   As an example of an unexpected unknown that I saw for the first time
> >> yesterday:  Norm Baker is doing some extremely strong work on very large
> >> TLUDs, and he gave an outstanding talk on his 16th model (called “Ring of
> >> Fire”).  He later showed me parts of a 1.5 hour run with a pyrex window
> >> inserted into the side of his barrel.  Neither of us know how to explain the
> >> clear picture of pyrolysis gases (smoke) traveling DOWN near this window
> >> (mostly - not periodically).  Anyone else seen this?  (pretty hard without a
> >> window). Clearly the overall gas flow is upward - as he produces plenty
> >> (35%) of high quality char.
> >
> > Is this not a simple convection effect, the  outside of the  barrel
> > being cooled by ambient air whilst the core is at ~600C?
> >
> > I would expect this effect to be more pronounced the  larger the diameter.
> >
> > I doubt it affects the burn much unless it causes a "fold" in the burning layer.
> >
> > Andrew

> > for more Biomass Cooking Stoves,  News and Information see our web site:

Thanks

Frank
Frank Shields
Gabilan Laboratory