[Stoves] News 24 Jan 2017: Dirty woodstoves cause a health crisis in London

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Sat Feb 4 12:51:18 CST 2017

Dear Cecil,

Sounds like an excellent location to conduct research.

So people have purchased the stove they want and best suits their needs.

If you find a few smoky types will the people be willing to change to one less smoky stoves?

If you supply people with high quality dry, cut, split fuel will the air be any cleaner? That is; is the stove capable of burning clean? Just needing the optimum fuel for that stove?

If the stoves are taken into the lab just how clean can they be and what is needed to make them clean and still do the job the owner wants?

Just a few suggestions for looking into for such a great location for a project.

Regards

Frank

> On Feb 4, 2017, at 10:33 AM, cec1863 at gmail.com wrote:
>
> Dear et al,
>
> The smell of wood smoke permeates upper income neighborhoods in YSO. The colder the weather the stronger the smell of wood fires. Some nights there are enough PICS at the level of my eyes and my nose outdoors to make my eyes smart and my nose to tingle a little.
>
> There are about 2000 houses in YSO and I do not know how many household rely on wood burning stoves.  Perhaps 300  wood burning heating stoves and fireplace inserts plus old fashioned fireplaces, maybe more? These wood burning heating stoves are concentrated in the green leafy upper income parts of the village. So OAQ is neighborhood specific. Aggregate data would miss annoying and unhealthy pockets of  pollution.
>
> One of my thoughts is to get the local college (Antioch) to put together a small enterprise that will be partially subsidized by municipal taxes to test the efficiency and emissions of biomass heating and cooking stoves in YSO. It maybe be possible to compare the carbon footpriints of different fuel/heating technology combinations.
>
> The village government can offer  to assist biomass users tweak, optimize, retrofit and upgrade the efficiency and emission performance of household stoves burning biomass cord wood or pellets or other forms within the limits of YSO. Is that not a possible triple win approach to smarting eyes and tingling noses.
>
> CECook
>

> Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Thanks

Frank