[Stoves] Energy efficiency value

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Sun Feb 5 22:22:02 CST 2017

Dear Stovers,

Why is knowing the energy efficiency so important?

If we were to take a tin metal stove and provide a controlled heat source (oxygen-acetaline) and measure the energy efficiency at different, steady powers (say 1/4th, 1/2, 3/4 and full power) using the WBT as indicator this would not likely be a straight line - I am thinking. Then take a well insulated clay stove and the four points would likely be more of a straight line but all stoves would have a different curve.

Now add a controlled fuel like propane (with no O2 source) and now you add to the variables primary air and secondary air. Then switch the test to using biomass and more variables are added.

I’m thinking without a straight (or at least predicted) curve for the four power settings regarding energy efficiency that the test is meaningless. There is no good value for a stove for energy efficiency. No reason to go all out for that value.

I’m thinking a better approach is Fuel Classification vs Heat into the Pot. I think using a single type of biomass fuel we can predict the time it takes to boil the water. Use another type of fuel and it takes a little longer - every time.  The difference is not the energy in the biomass but more the Classification we give to the biomass. (still needing development). We test success using Cecil approach to find out how well it works - but know from lab study the biomass properties so to be able to compare and predict success in different locations.

Regards

Frank

Thanks

Frank