[Stoves] Differences in stove testing ---- was Re: ETHOS 2017 agenda and logistics

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 15:14:42 CST 2017

On 6 February 2017 at 19:29, Paul Anderson <psanders at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> When that biomass is wet, and is placed into a biodigestor for anaerobic
> conversion into combustible gases (called biogas), there is a lot of energy
> remaining in the digestor.  Does all of that unconverted energy get charged
> against the efficiencies of cooking with biogas?

That looks like a sensible analogy Paul.

I was thinking along the lines of if you cooked with LPG and were left
with some in the container, or kerosene similarly, when you switched
off, how does this differ from retaining char at end of cooking?

Also if it's allowable to differentiate between the heat for space
heating why not also allow for char removed for some other purpose?

I'm largely out of this argument as I haven't studied the equations
but in an early posts someone, possibly Crispin, said it was the
energy released from the fuel that counted.

Andrew