[Stoves] Differences in stove testing ---- was Re: ETHOS 2017 agenda and logistics

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Feb 6 21:51:28 CST 2017

Dear Andrew

Small correction, the energy that is 'releasable' form the fuel is in the denominator. It is also called embedded ‎energy and energy in the fuel fed and so on.

If I buy 10 litres of gasoline and burn 5 and let the other five leak away, I cannot claim I only consumed five. I consumed five and wasted the other five.

The fact that wasted fuel has energy doesn't reduce my wastefulness.

If I collected the drips in a cup and used in somewhere else, ‎i recoup some of the loss. But the original consumption is still 10 litres.

Paul is describing a systems approach in which there are multiple stoves or 'energy devices'. The rating of each portion of that system is what we are doing with a stove test. ‎There might be three stoves in a chain using some input fuel. The rating of the fuel consumption and energy delivered on the first one is not altered by what happens later with the others.

www.newdawnengineering.com