[Stoves] Differences in stove testing ---- was Re: ETHOS 2017 agenda and logistics

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 11:44:14 CST 2017

On 7 February 2017 at 13:46, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

>>But he also said that efficiencies from co generation of products are additive.
>
> That is correct. I felt it unnecessary to repeat it. Suppose you cook in two pots simultaneously. Is the energy getting into pot 2 subtracted from the total fuel energy to find the efficiency of cooking in pot 1? Of course not. The total energy in each application of heat is summed and divided by the total energy in the fuel fed.

This is getting nowhere, we all know what the difference between us is
and a number of people have suggested it is because we cannot directly
compare char making stoves. I accept that. I also accept a standard
will be set that will unfairly favour some sorts of stoves over
others, that’s life.

I don't propose to continue with this fruitless discussion.

>> Energy needed to convert the food into cooked food is an energy gain
>
>>This is a dubious proposition
>
> Before VITA joined the party hosted in those days by Eindhoven, it was standard procedure to cook food and calculate the energy literally absorbed in the transformation of veggies. They produced a chart with the energy needed for different food types. The reason was to account for energy that was not detected in water temperature and missing water.

Is this true in all types of cooking? I would expect the actual
chemical changes in the food  to only change the chemical energy
marginally.

Andrew