[Stoves] Differences in stove testing ---- was Re: ETHOS 2017 agenda and logistics

Paul Medwell paul.medwell at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Feb 7 15:33:19 CST 2017

Hi all,

I am fairly new to this discussion that is taking place in multiple fora
regarding the char-deducting formula. I am also heavily time-constrained
and not able to participate as much as I want. Nevertheless, I would
like to try and provide some input.

It seems that everyone in in agreement that stoves can have co-benefits
in addition to cooking. Producing char and providing space heating are
two such benefits.

Two analogies that might help put this issue in context...

1) Consider a multi-function printer -- one that is a combined
printer/scanner/photocopier. It does lots of things. Each user will
place a different emphasis on the relative importance of each feature.
For example, 'Person A' might want a very high resolution scanner, but
not really care about the print quality and never use the photocopier.
'Person B' only wants to use it as a printer (after all, that is what it
is called). How would reporting a single metric on the overall
performance help these two people choose?  It seems much more meaningful
to report the quality of each feature separately. Trying to
over-simplify the reporting of the various features into a single value
causes it all to lose meaning.

If a stove does multiple things (cook, produce char, space heating) then
report each performance metric separately.

2) Consider the engine in my car.
.    I put gasoline in the tank [fuel energy in...what I put in]
.    I get kinetic energy from the drive shaft [useful energy out...what
I want out]
.    The exhaust will contain some CO and unburned hydrocarbons, UHC
[residual fuel energy...something I could use]
.    A lot of heat is produced [rejected heat...something I lose]

I could capture the CO and UHC from the exhaust and burn them in a
barbeque. Should the fuel energy that they contain be subtracted from
the 'fuel energy in'?

Cheers,
Paul