[Stoves] Differences in stove testing

Cookswell Jikos cookswelljikos at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 01:17:11 CST 2017

Perhaps these guys could help shed some light on this confusion of stove
testing?

''If there’s one man who can either put your soul at ease or send you into
a state of panic, it's John Drengenberg, the Consumer Safety Director at
Underwriters Laboratories. He's a certified electrical engineer. Over the
past half-century at UL, he's tested hundreds, if not thousands, of stoves.
Both gas and electric, thank you. If John Drengenberg leaves the stove on,
he knows exactly what will happen.

"It's a very simple question," Drengenberg told me over the phone. We then
proceeded to talk about stove burners for 10 minutes.

"A stove is designed to run indefinitely," says Drengenberg. "Do we
recommend that? Absolutely not." While it's not the best idea to leave an
open flame unattended, If you leave your stove burner on, your house will,
in all likelihood, not burn down.

UL tests just about every stove that hits the market. Part of that testing
involves ensuring they hit thermal stability. In other words, they turn the
stove on, and check the temperature of the burner, and keep checking the
temperature until it stops increasing — just to make sure the burner
doesn't ultimately set the entire stove on fire.

"If you leave it on, and there's nothing on the stove or near the stove, it
probably will stay running until you come back," he says.

So nothing would happen. And yet, the leading cause of house fires is
unattended cooking. So just what is going on here?''...

http://digg.com/2017/what-happens-if-you-leave-burner-on

*Cookswell Jikos*
www.cookswell.co.ke
www.facebook.com/CookswellJikos
www.kenyacharcoal.blogspot.com
Mobile: +254 700 380 009
Mobile: +254 700 905 913
P.O. Box 1433, Nairobi 00606, Kenya

Save trees - think twice before printing.