[Stoves] Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting the WBT

Xavier Brandao xvr.brandao at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 16:24:06 CST 2017

Part 1 of 2 (attachments)

Dear all,

I have been told by some of you that in order to stop using the WBT, we need alternative protocols. This is true, we will still need to test, in the weeks and months to come.

Please find attached to this email some of the files coming from the latest versions of the procedures and test spreadsheets of the Heterogeneous Testing Protocol and CSI method. I couldn't send all the files to the List (limitation is 1.5 mb), but the rest is in the Google Drive folder which link is below.

*	The Heterogeneous Testing Protocol (HTP). It gives the system efficiency, also known as the energy efficiency.

*	HTP Procedure
*	SeTAR-HTP-33.03.01-2013-08-20
*	Sample Stove Test, v3.072 Multi Pot+LPB

*	The SeTAR Energy Efficiency Test (current version is v1.57). It gives the heat transfer efficiency.

*	SeTAR Energy Efficiency Test v1.57 - SAMPLE

*	CSI method

*	CSI Intro to Metrics v2013
*	HFR Field test method v1.0
*	Stove selection criteria and methodology v1.3a
*	CSI Indonesia Test Methods v1.0
*	Additionnally, an example of Observed Cooking Sequences from a 3 person household, self-constructed 1 hole

This is the Google Drive folder where you can find these documents, link here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5rmmRmIsdlnQlRQX3A1cXVOQ3M?usp=sharing <https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5rmmRmIsdlnQlRQX3A1cXVOQ3M?usp=sharing>

Just like the WBT, let's please discuss these protocols on the List. If you have any questions about the documents I sent, please ask them on the List, or to me directly.

I discussed with some of the authors of the WBT studies. They told me that: "The WBT should be definitely replaced." This reinforce my concerns with this protocol. But they also said that the other protocols should be improved. Research must continue, and this is a collective effort.

Crispin just mentioned on the list the new paper by Lombardi, Riva, Colombo, Inzoli: "Guidelines for reporting and analysing laboratory test results for biomass cooking stoves".

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312849490_Guidelines_for_reporting_and_analysing_laboratory_test_results_for_biomass_cooking_stoves?enrichId=rgreq-6bca10052b214023edf95a9f2035ac5f-XXX <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312849490_Guidelines_for_reporting_and_analysing_laboratory_test_results_for_biomass_cooking_stoves?enrichId=rgreq-6bca10052b214023edf95a9f2035ac5f-XXX&enrichSource=Y292ZXJQYWdlOzMxMjg0OTQ5MDtBUzo0NTQ0MjQwOTE5OTIwNjVAMTQ4NTM1NDU1NDYwNg%3D%3D&el=1_x_3&_esc=publicationCoverPdf> &enrichSource=Y292ZXJQYWdlOzMxMjg0OTQ5MDtBUzo0NTQ0MjQwOTE5OTIwNjVAMTQ4NTM1NDU1NDYwNg%3D%3D&el=1_x_3&_esc=publicationCoverPdf

This paper is part of this collective effort to put into question our current protocols, and continue working on them. This is a most welcome work.

Once again, if you wish to support this initiative, even anonymously, please contact me at: xvr.brandao at gmail.com <mailto:xvr.brandao at gmail.com>

Looking forward to your comments,

Xavier