[Stoves] Differences in stove testing

Bond, Tami C yark at illinois.edu
Wed Feb 15 17:27:45 CST 2017

Hi Ranyee,

I won’t disagree with you in public at this time, and indeed I only posted about the IWA in an attempt to get Ron to stop using the success of the IWA as a reason not to revisit it. I am in favor of evolution, not freezing, and the main point was that one doesn’t shut down discussion simply by saying 90 people agreed with something, when in fact they did not jointly develop the document as they are doing now.

I do distinctly remember that we were told, during the development of the IWA draft, that details and international engagement was not critical because we were going to have a meeting (in The Hague) where people could provide input and updates. I believe you were not able to join those prep calls— because you were not yet hired, I think. The draft was developed *entirely*, not mostly, by experts from the US. Since I was living in China at the time, I offered to engage with Chinese colleagues for comment, and I was actively discouraged from doing so because “it would delay the process." My comments on some of the process at this time were communicated to Sumi and Radha by e-mail, as well as (what I hope was) constructive suggestions to John for improvement.

When we arrived in The Hague, we were told that we could not edit the document substantively, but only provide resolutions and clarifying comments. I remember this primarily because I was furious at the bait-and-switch, which we learned about only at dinner on the day of arrival. Resolutions and clarifying comments were, indeed, worked on during the meeting.

I am not trying to blame anyone— I believe that we all suffered from a lack of experience with ISO procedures. Nevertheless, the process did have some irregularities, and it is good that we are engaging in a more open process now.

With best regards,

Tami