[Stoves] Differences in stove testing

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Thu Feb 16 10:45:29 CST 2017

Stovers,

This statement below is very important and has been completely neglected.

> On Feb 16, 2017, at 4:37 AM, Bond, Tami C <yark at illinois.edu> wrote:
>
> Quoting Baldwin:
> "Improving the fuel efficiency of a stove thus requires attention to a number of different factors. Among these are:
>
> Combustion Efficiency: so that as much of the energy stored in the combustible as possible is released as heat.

Releasing heat from combustable materials is directly related to the following:

Moisture, Particle size and shape, carbon density (bulk and particle), stacking of fuel in the combustion chamber,
resins, ash, volatiles at 450C no O2, fixed carbon energy heating stove body, fuel addition timing, etc, etc

The only place I have known where this statement (everyone agrees is important) is addressed is with the WBT where dug-fir, dried and cut to 1” square 6” long are used. Also in stoves using pellets that we just assume meets US energy and quality standards. Many pellets I’ve tested do not.

I think a graphing of the biomass used is needed. The spider looking graph i mentioned i think will work. Moisture along one spoke starts with 0% in the center to, say, 50% on the outside. Place a dot on the spoke for the % moisture found in the fuel. Next spoke is particle size from sawdust size in center to 25cm on outside, Length to width ratio, diameter to height ratio, Carbon density of particles, bulk carbon density when stacked, % resins, etc, etc,

All the dots are connected forming a zig-zag around the circle. The stove has two circles; a maximum and a minimum. The biomass fuel has one as to conditions when prepared. Overlap and if the fuel falls within the stove requirements the fuel can be used.

Regards

Frank

Thanks

Frank