[Stoves] Combustion characteristics of biomass fuels in a fixed bed micro-gasifier cook stove

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Mon Feb 20 12:58:21 CST 2017

Crispin writes:

> The WBT 4.2.3 is seriously deficient when it comes to the efficiency and fuel consumption (the latter being calculated from the former).

Frank writes:

I agree it is seriously deficient but easily corrected.

Efficiency problems in calculations of the stove using WBT can be easily corrected using Energy in the volatile fraction as total energy IN. This method for the purpose of comparing stoves from Fuel to completed task (in this case Water Boiling).

Specific Fuel Consumption is calculated based on the percent weight loss from volatile fraction in the fuel chosen.

So whatever biomass is chosen you determine the 1) volatile fraction 2) energy in that fraction and 3) energy used to complete the task.

 When you use a specific biomass for fuel (like Oak, pine, pile located in such and such camp, typical fuel in mountains in India etc.) you determine the percent of the biomass that is volatile (dry basis) and the energy in the volatile fraction.

When reporting biomass used you report three values: 1) Name/type of fuel 2) percent volatiles 3) energy in the volatile fraction.

As for Char making: The inverse of the volatile fraction is the Fixed fraction. This determined DAF basis. Comparing stoves for char making you need: 1) weight of fixed fraction (DAF) for total Char IN and recovered weight char (DAF) OUT.

I think the WBT can be easily modified to work very well and should be used as a blueprint for testing different tasks.

Regards

Frank

Thanks

Frank