[Stoves] SPAM: Early TLUD history... Re: Friz Handel's Bush Buddy history

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Mon Feb 20 22:20:49 CST 2017

Paul, Neil,

Great story. It's not unusual for creative people faced with similar
challenges to come up with similar solutions. We have frequently seen that
with industrial processes patents. Sometimes when you contact someone and
say "Hey, we had the same idea!" you never hear from them again, or, they
send you a copy of their patent. Other times you exchange stories about how
each arrived at a similar solution.

John Hall apparently trademarked his Bushbuddy about 1999 and eventually
abandoned it. You can find the abandoned trademark but a quick search didn't
show a patent. He appears to still be in Portland.

It is interesting that Fritz's invention was inspired by solving problems
with the Sierra camp stove. I still have our 1990 Sierra Stoves sitting on
the shelf. As you know we tested them and the Zmart Stove for the developer,
Fred Hottenroth, and Tom Reed. Tom boiled peas for me in his kitchen with a
Sierra about that time. As you probably note in your history, Tom was
working with the stratified downdraft in 1980 and I saw his the first TLUD
he showcased with Ron Larson in about 1996. (That's when I talked Ron into
moderating this list, which he did for the next 6 years.)

Whatever the evolution it's great that the TLUD concepts have served the
hikers and domestic cookers for at least 27 years. Besides, there has always
been something intriguing about gasifiers.

Tom