[Stoves] Sun Buckets: off topic news, introduction

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Jan 3 14:14:43 CST 2017

Dear David S

Welcome to the land of hot food.

I enjoyed you post and enthusiasm.

I would like to credit Garth Whitworth-Williams-Foxcroft with creating the idea behind this stove. It never came to market but he had such a good idea. He described it to me as a flat slab somewhat like the thing you sit on in a wheelchair if you have to be there all the time. It was charged by flipping it upside down and sitting it in the sun. It was ‘ignited’ by flipping it over and the chemicals inside started to mix and generate heat.

The sun separated the chemicals which drifted apart because of their different densities.

Garth is gone now. He invented a lot if things including the first air-to-air missile, a practical zinc-air battery for vehicles and photo-setting polymers now used in about 100% of printing presses.

Solar-chemical or Solar-thermal storage (like the peanut oil cooker made by Mercedes) get around the problem of having to cook when the sun is out.

Thanks
Crispin