[Stoves] Sun Buckets: off topic news, introduction (David Stein)-fireless cookers

David Stein ambwat at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 01:09:27 CST 2017

Dear Bernhard,

I really enjoyed reading your paper!  I have tried to find info on the
topic of fireless cookers but I've had limited success.  Practical Action
has an article on fireless cookers and how to make them. It is good but I
think the " how to make them" part is much easier to understand in your
document.

Sun Buckets is not yet ready for mass production either, although they're
getting close.  On their cooking blog https://cookingwithsunbuckets.com/
they routinely describe temperatures in excess of 600 degrees F.

I agree, an integrated cooking system is probably the best way to go.  As
Ron said, "every solar option needs a backup."  It makes a lot of sense to
include a fireless cooker (aka retained heat cooker) as part of the total
cooking solution.  Besides, it seems that other than cultural
considerations the biggest hurdle to the uptake of new cooking
practices/technologies is cost.  And  fireless cookers are very
inexpensive.

Thank you,

David Stein