[Stoves] Sun Buckets: off topic news, introduction (David Stein, Ron, et al. )

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 14:35:34 CST 2017

David:

What a surprise!! I hope you don't let the rest in on how you humbled me
the very first time we met. (Check if I care!)

Thank you for bringing up chemical thermal storage. I am also thankful to
Ron for letting you get by the gates.

Some five years ago, I had met a young college dropout in India who had
some ideas about other kinds of storage and heat transfer medium. Until
then, I hadn't thought of thermal storage at all.

Biomass itself is just another form of chemical storage of solar energy.
LPG a longer-term chemical storage of biomass.

Sun Buckets and such can surely compete with $2+ per kg propane in Port
Vila(it was ~$3.50/kg when I left, surely more in other islands). Might
also be competitive in Haiti, perhaps a comparable context of a French
ex-colony in the oceans.

Please tell us all about cookstoves and cooking in Vanuatu and other
Pacific Island countries you have gone to. And a little about how in Vila,
Punja's brings salt from India and Bon Marche sells canned sardines, pasta
and rice.

You are one of the rare American men who have recent experience of spending
long time in developing country regions without electricity or gas and also
know about local cooking and foods.

Stoves are for cooking food and beverages or heating air/water, not for
running lab tests and certainly not for conjuring murders, suicides, and
salvation. (If cooking kills, it must amount to murder or suicide, no?)

Or for saving the earth.

Nikhil