[Stoves] Pre-payment v. credit (Re: Teddy on pre-cooked beans)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 18:21:00 CST 2017

Teddy:

At first I thought you were talking of smart cards for pre-cooked beans,
which confused me.

Except that Anil Rajvanshi's idea of "rural restaurants" can be run more
efficiently run with meal vouchers that are given out digitally (phone or
cards). He might even have proposed just that; I don't remember now.

As for institutional biomass fuel supply, I don't see any difference. Say,
I invest in a fuelwood supply and storage scheme, so long as I can assure
fuel quality and shape/size of chopped wood (like bundles I saw in front of
Bethesda Coop here two days ago - perhaps 15 kg for $8). I write out a
contract on quantity and frequency, with some min/max take or validity of
the contract, and give you a way to order digitally to my warehouse for
delivery or pickup.

It is a little easier with pellets and briquettes. BP's Oorja stove idea
was based on selling pellets via petrol pumps. Except that the idea
originated from the Indian version of Castrol, which BP acquired (or
re-acquired after 40--50 years). Seems to me Castrol people had what I
might call "lubricants mindset" when it came to logistics and inventory
planning, instead of "diesel mindset".

I once thought of petrol pumps becoming vendors of Solar Home Systems or
pico-PV products -- after all, they were selling kerosene, which in India
was a loss-making proposition given government's price fixing. Was worth
thinking of when petrol pumps were new in rural areas, in India or Africa,
and electrification rates were low.

Then I wrote about an energy voucher scheme - money could be used for solar
or LPG or qualified biomass fuels (solid, liquid/gel).

Transactions can be digitized, no big deal. Contracts are the headache; get
an IT person and a lawyer together.

Or have I gone bonkers and failed to understand a basic objection in Kenyan
context?

You might know that in India Our Dear Leader has created an utter chaos by
pushing digital transactions on everybody by suddenly declaring 86% of the
currency in circulation illegal on 8th November.

On Jan 4, 2017, at 3:12 AM, Cookswell Jikos <cookswelljikos at gmail.com>