[Stoves] Clean stoves and LPG planning (India and Haiti)

Mangolazi mangolazi at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 8 07:45:52 CST 2017

Hi all, just wading in...

My parents used coal and firewood for cooking when they were growing up, whereas LPG and electricity were used for cooking when I was growing up. LPG is both a boon and a bane - it's a very convenient fuel to use, there's lots of it around but extracting and burning it causes huge environmental impacts. With clean burners, it's a clean burning fuel, compared to a lot of biomass stoves that need the right fuel and stove mix. It's a hard fuel to wean ourselves away from.

For biomass stoves and TLUDs to compete against LPG, they have to be more convenient and cheaper to run. I'm not sure that's the case in most parts of Southeast and South Asia. Gas cylinders are heavily subsidized in most developing countries. Gas stoves are also terribly convenient for busy cooks, no issues with turn-down or a short burn cycle like with TLUDs.

I feel it's in areas with lots of renewable biomass and underdeveloped gas distribution networks (either pipelines or cylinders) that biomass stoves stand a chance. Maybe if pelletized biomass fuels made for more convenient light-off and longer burn times, biomass stoves could compete against LPG.