[Stoves] Clean fuel is contextual (Re: Frank, Crispin)

Roger Samson rogerenroute at yahoo.ca
Sun Jan 8 18:34:31 CST 2017

Nikhil

I think India is on the right track looking at renewable electricity as the long term clean fuel source winner for cooking. I used to work on biomass power in North America. I threw in the towel on that a few years ago.  I have been following solar energy research as a means  to better understand how plants can more efficiently intercept sunlight for my biomass grass plant breeding program. The solar PV researchers are making most of their efficiency gains through texturing and coatings to improve sunlight utilization (In my biomass grasses I breed for striated leaves and glaucous bloom-the dusty blue texturing you see on cabbage leaves). The cheapest solar projects today are 2.5 cents a kwh today. In ten years it is projected to head to 1 cent kwh and that will destroy oil (and gas).  Solar PV modules are continuing to drop fast from an average selling price of 70 cents per watt in 2013 to 35 cents at the beginning of  2017
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-20/energy-tsunamis-threaten-to-drag-oil-down-to-10-engie-says

Look at the efficiency chart here on solar and then look at the amazing cost reduction chart.
http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_Renewable_Infrastructure_Investment_Handbook.pdf

So urban cooking in my opinion will most likely go electric within 10 years and the Indian government is making a good call on that. I think it will be much longer for rural users to go electric and it will remain biomass likely for the next 25 years.

I think any agency deciding to get in bed with the hole digging extractives industry (ie LPG) this late in the game is making a bad call and are completely visionless. There is no future in the extractives industry. PV solar is about to do to the energy sector what agriculture did to the hunter gatherer food movement and those in the fossil fuel sector are going to get crushed (especially Canadian oilsands).

regards
Roger
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Roger_Samson2
(you can see my grass breeding work here)