[Stoves] ABCEG deceit and conceit (Re: Crispin, Andrew) ON THE SIDE

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 22:35:19 CST 2017

Ron:

Since I doubt there is anything "official" (please provide a definition),
it is indeed a "free for all". As it has been - in my view - in the
"stovers' world" for decades now.

As I wrote before, I for one don't care a hoot about fuel consumption as a
generally relevant metric for all biomass fuels in all contexts. I also
don't think lab tests are worth a bother, or that boiling water is any more
than intellectual pornography (see Webster, meaning 3).

That said, IF a procurement request (such as that by UN as Crispin
mentions) is written in terms of fuel consumption or combustion efficiency,
char as by-product is irrelevant.

Whether the WBT - and particular protocols, calculation methods - properly
reflects what it purports to measure is another matter. I gave up on that
30+ years ago and don't see any point in anybody bothering with it.

Yeah. I know the IWA crowd may be using a particular version of WBT. (I
read the PCIA presentations back in 2012).

The whole IWA shabang is so laughable. Did I say it is to cooking what
Playboy is to sex?

Merits of biochar are beside the point. I like the concept. I also endorse
Crispin's view, "There is a lot wrong with subtracting any number from the
mass of fuel in the denominator representing the fuel needed to perform the
cooking task." (WBT is not about cooking, so why should you and Crispin
quarrel in the first place? :-))

I am waiting for some model to bake crop productivity benefits of soil
char, other than carbon sequestration -- say, CSPIT, Char Soil Productivity
Intervention Tool, with instant online link to different crop price
forecasts in specific geographies and periods. There's gotta be some
benefit to soil char, but I suppose that is out of the scope for this list.
LNBL may be interested.

Nikhil

---------
(US +1) 202-568-5831