[Stoves] Off-topic: Time to shut off dripping drivel - mine or GACC's? (Re: Tom Miles)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 14:59:03 CST 2017

Tom:

You write, "shall we just shut off your dripping drivel? If you have a
better program let’s hear about it."

Just as I pointed out the dripping drivel of GACC rhetoric five years ago,
asking "What does UN Foundation have to show for chewing up donor money on
fine-wind-dine-and-shine parties? The IWA circus with WBT?"

How much has GACC contributed to funding design and real-life testing of
"better biomass stoves", purportedly this list's objective?

I think I did make positive contributions arguing for "contextuality"
(Cecil's concepts) and "usability" (borrowing from Mike Toman's research
following Results-Based Finance report on stoves). Critiquing the methods
of researches and claims on "clean cookstoves", "health benefits", "climate
benefits", "women's empowerment benefits" is also a positive contribution;
so what if my language is negative?

Dogs need to bark when thieves surround the house.

If GACC and IWA are relevant to this List, critique of, and reforms in,
GACC and IWA processes can be a positive program. Nobody has asked me or
this List, but I am trying to shed light on the opaque adventures of GACC,
WHO, ISO, and some US government agencies.

Independent financial and performance audits should be demanded by
government members of the ISO and all the partners of GACC and donors to
GACC, as well as an evaluation by technical experts (including this List
itself), users of GACC-promoted "clean cookstoves", and some surveys among
cooks exposed to GACC promises.

But exposes are imperative. Whether they are done in behind the doors and
kept under wraps or stated in diplomatic manner. Or by my researching open
source documents and pointing out the deceit. (A journalist's job is to
wake up those put to sleep by propaganda, not comfort the comforted. I am
hoping some real journalists take up the challenge like one courageous
woman did with her Up in Smoke in India.)

It's your choice.

I will write one more post after this and shut down.

Maybe two, including an off-topic response to Ron about my 28 sins of
impudence. I owe that to him and the List.

*************

As Kirk Smith said (the precise quote is not handy), about the Global
Burden of Disease ("Millions Dead.." paper of his), there is a "natural
urge" to confuse (or conflate, I forget) the "attributable" with the
"avoidable".

You may avoid the rancor attribuable to me, but the facts are out there.
There are enough problems with attributing x Burden of Disease to HAP as
risk factor (read Kirk Smith). And many more problems to claim that this
BOD can and will be avoided by mere "clean fuels and cookstoves". (Again,
read Kirk Smith).

1. The term "clean cookstoves" has no meaning, and all the efforts of
WHO/EPA experts to anoint Tier-hood to stoves via PM2.5 emission rates to
"averted DALYs" is deceit.
2. GACC is less unaccountable than Chicago Police Department or Donald
Trump and his appointees. At least, each of them has a well-defined job and
most of them execute it well. Chicago police officers risking their lives
patrolling communities that deeply distrust them. and resent the Consent
Decree entered into with the US Department of Justice.

By contrast, GACC has no public financial data or independent technical
examination by people who might know something about energy and poverty by
groundwork (as many on this List do, which is why I decided to respond to
Xavier Brandao's post about why it is so difficult to design a biomass
stove that will appeal to users and reduce pollution exposures.

There is a larger problem than GACC. UN Foundation, Inc. is a private
empire, running nearly 20 "programs and initiatives" and has no annual
report after a "Five Year Annual Report"
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions-files.org/unf_website/PDF/5year_annual_report.pdf>
since end-2002, which shows it having made some $500+ million grants in the
previous five years, source of money unreported. As of today, it's webpage
on Annual Reports is blank -
http://www.unfoundation.org/news-and-media/publications-and-speeches/five-year-annual-report.html.

GACC's Five Year Report <http://cleancookstoves.org/resources/406.html> or 2016
Annual Report <http://cleancookstoves.org/resources/495.html> does not even
mention finances. In its First Annual Report
<http://cleancookstoves.org/resources/274.html> it said it had "raised more
than $78 million in partner commitments" and aimed "to raise $250 million
over ten years". Out of the $78 million, "more than $53 million" were in
"parallel five-year commitments from the US government" (State, HHS and EPA
did much more than that, but all JFK promises are now subject to
Congressional appropriations). In its three-year report
<http://cleancookstoves.org/resources/280.html> it claimed that in 2011-12
"Alliance raises $29 million in total for Secretariat and grant programs,
and leverages more than $120 million in parallel funding"; and "To date,
the Alliance has raised over $38 million in total funding for the
Secretariat and its grant programs, and leveraged more than $200 million in
total parallel support.

In the Phase I Report <http://unf.mediapolis.com/resources/283.html>, and
the 2016 Progress Report
<http://cleancookstoves.org/reports/GACC_AR_2016_FlowPaper2/#page=9>,
curiously there is no mention of fund-raising. (The Secretariat is as much
of a misnomer as CEO, since they all seem to be employees or contractors of
UN Foundation.)

Indeed, on GACC's webpage for financial information
<http://cleancookstoves.org/about/news/01-01-1990-financial-information.html>,
the purported link to "Alliance financial statement" has been broken for
months.

Phase I Report confidently declared, "The global health community will
fully embrace and act on the issue of household air pollution" and that by
2017, "60 million households adopt cleaner and more efficient cookstoves
and fuels" (as if Narendra Modi needed GACC's gas.) The lady presented to
the world as GACC CEO is declared as "Executive Director", without
disclosing that she is the Executive Director of UN Foundation, Inc., since
GACC is not a legal person.

Absent donor evaluations and detailed audited financial statements, I am
forced to conclude that UN Foundation Inc. and its project GACC, are in
need of a Chelsea Clinton. She raised questions about her father's
Foundation, now she needs to come to the aid of her mother's Alliance.

Nikhil

---------