[Stoves] Off-topic: Time to shut off dripping drivel - mine or GACC's? (Re: Tom Miles)

Roger Samson rogerenroute at yahoo.ca
Sun Jan 15 13:18:40 CST 2017

Good comments Paul. I can say that in the case of REAP-Canada we have pulled back from work on stoves because of GACC control over the stoves research and funding agenda. We don't have an entry point to engage with them. It's a high cost top down development agenda that is controlled from  Washington.  With GACC what I see is biomass stoves are marginalized, the rural poor are marginalized, and it is increasingly embedding itself with the fossil fuel sector and trying to control everything stoves. It's increasingly looking like a super problematic agency that has lost its way.

>From my standpoint I think Nikhil's agenda to make more transparent what is going on is highly welcome but his annoying delivery at times is at times a little painful. I am quite tolerant of diverse personalities so he doesn't annoy me. Overall I think he is a big asset as he is one of the few here that is not afraid to speak out for fear of funding. As a part time hobby I follow an investors forum for solar energy (www.thecontrarianinvestor.com) and we have lots of interventions from difficult personalities.

I sympathize with Tom's frustration as the list has been a fantastic open and positive discussion board and had few problem through the years. Really to me the problem isn't with Nikhil, the problem is with GACC and we shouldn't shoot the messenger.  I think those attending ETHOS should meet and design possible options to engage with or withdraw from GACC. The Clinton Global Initiative just packed up shop and announced it is folding this weekend. It  was another fine Lords of Poverty organization. GACC may not survive Trump so maybe it will die its own natural death. My feeling the organization started with good intentions and then it just got lost. When you have no transparency in terms of governance and you have the Executive director sitting on her own advisory board, its a case of "Houston we have a problem".

I think what needs to be done is to think about what kind of agency would best serve the sustainable household cooking agenda. To me there is a need to create a decentralized sustainable household cooking alliance with regional hubs/testing centres.

I would like to thank Tom for his hard work and patience in keeping the list going through all these years and supporting the biomass stoves movement.

All the best

Roger