[Stoves] Test procedures

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sun Jan 15 18:35:12 CST 2017

Dear Frank

This is how it should be done, as explained by Harold Annegarn:

‎Define the required output, the units and the accuracy needed. Define an acceptable range of error.

Working backwards from the result through the formulas needed, define the measurements needed, their accuracy and precision.

Describe the equipment needed to obtain those measurements and the conditions under which ‎they shall be obtained.

The rest falls together. Terms needed are defined, and no term goes undefined.

The result is a list of required measurements with defined parameters that can be used to select equipment.

The testing of stoves requires the defining of a test sequence to be conducted during the measurement process. That might be a very simple test of heat transfer efficiency of a complex series of tests reflecting in-home use with fuel saved from one test to the next. ‎It might simulate the preparation of a complx meal of a heating cycle in winter.

Fuel characterization is ‎well defined. In some cases the char produced should be characterized. There are common methods of doing that.

The key of course is to have at the end a report that has relevance and certainty.

Dear Crispin,

One such group I was involved in was the IBI Carbon Sequestering protocol. That was very successful IMO. So it can work.

While one person can come up with a test, it is quite another thing to come up with an entire protocol.

There are books of test methods to pick from. They are assembled to make a protocol. Then the results have a conclusion assigned to them.

Its the ‘conclusion assigned to them’ where it all starts. The test methods often need to be modified and the assembling of them needs to be such that it validates the ‘conclusion assigned to them’. Many test procedures fall short along the way and their conclusion claims are not substantiated. Experts not having lab experience are unlikely to willingly modify test methods. And the protocol often not conducted to validate the conclusion. I see this a lot.

Its easy to see why stove tests done in the lab using processed fuels for a conclusion that this stove is better than this stove is not a valid test protocol when its wild fuel that is used at the site.

Its easy to see why it would be useful to have a lab test where many stoves can be tested to determine the best stove for a specific site. I think this can be done. But I have not a hint of anyone working towards this approach.

Regards

Frank